Our City and Surrounding Area News

Budget and Strategic Plan

The City Recorder's Office, under the direction of Patti Amorello, provides a variety of services to the citizens of Columbia.

Business License

The City of Columbia has adopted the State of Tennessee Business Act. This requires anyone planning to open a business within the city limits with a gross income of more than $3,000 to obtain a City Business License. Applications can be picked up at the front counter of City Hall or downloaded from our Public Records page. Upon receipt of your completed application, we will collect a fee of $15.00 and issue you a business license. Business licenses are renewed annually by the State of Tennessee. Renewal dates and percentage rates are determined by the type of business you will be conducting. You may contact the State of Tennessee office by calling 1-800-342-1003 or visiting the website at http://www.state.tn.us/

For any questions concerning your business license please contact the Business License Clerk in the City Recorder's Office.

Garbage Fee Exemption

The City of Columbia has a program that allows qualified individuals to be exempt from paying the monthly garbage pickup fee. You may qualify if you are 65 years of age or older by December 31 of the current year, or 100% totally and permanently disabled. The income limit for the elderly or disabled varies from year to year. It includes all sources of income from all persons living in the household. The power bill must be in the applicant's name. If you have any questions about whether you or someone you know may qualify, please contact the City Recorder's Office during business hours.


Alarm Permits - renewed annually; Beer Permits - renewed annually; Liquor License - renewed annually; Parade Permits - issued for any large gathering involving public streets and property in order to maintain traffic control; Peddler's Permits - issued for door-to-door solicitation within city limits; Taxi Driver Permits & Taxi Cab Permits - renewed annually; Transient Vendor Permits - issued for short term usage

Property Tax

The City Recorder's Office is responsible for the collection of all city property taxes and personal property taxes. Taxes are due and payable without penalty from November 1st through December 15th of the current tax year. If payment is not received by December 15th, penalty and interest will be added starting at .5% through the end of December, and then 1% per month beginning in January. An additional 1% will be added for each month that the tax goes unpaid. After a Notice of Suit letter from the City of Columbia to the property owner receives no response, all unpaid taxes are turned over to the Maury County Clerk and Master's Office for collection.

Tax Relief

The City of Columbia participates in the State Property Tax Relief Program. This program provides relief to property owners meeting certain qualifications on a portion of their property taxes if they meet the following eligibility requirements. A homeowner may be eligible for City of Columbia property tax relief on the property where they reside (which must be their principal residence) if he or she is:

AN ELDERLY HOMEOWNER who will be at least 65 years of age by December 31 of the tax year for which they are applying, and the gross income from the previous year of all owners of the property and from all sources does not exceed the state limit

A DISABLED HOMEOWNER who is 100% totally and permanently disabled, and the gross income of all owners and sources for the previous year does not exceed the state limit

A DISABLED VETERAN OR WIDOW OF A DISABLED VETERAND-Determination of eligibility will be made based on information provided by the Veteran's Administration. A surviving spouse must have been married to the veteran at the time of death and may not have remarried. A widow of a Disabled Veteran will also have to provide a copy of their spouse's death certificate and some type of identification. Disabled veterans and widows of disabled veterans do not have to report their income.

A MOBILE HOMEOWNER meeting any of the above listed qualifications.

CITY OF COLUMBIA PROPERTY TAX RELIEF FOR THE ELDERLY LOW INCOME HOMEOWNER -You must own and use the property on which you are applying as your primary residence, and the combined income for you, your spouse and all owners of the property cannot exceed the State limit. Applicant must be 65 or older on or before December 31 of the tax year for which they are applying, and proof of age must be provided. The City of Columbia Tax Relief will only be applied after the State's relief has been applied to the taxes due. If the State's relief covers a qualified homeowner's entire amount of taxes due, the City of Columbia will not have any obligation to disburse any funds under this program on behalf of the qualified homeowners.

Traffic Court

The City Court Clerk works from within the City Recorder's Office, handling all traffic citations, parking tickets, and city ordinance violations according to the Judge's decree. Currently presiding over the Municipal Court is Judge Tom DuBois.

The City of Columbia offers repeat offenders the option of attending Driving School. The main benefit of attending this class is that upon completion of the course, your citation is not sent the the State of Tennessee, keeping your driving record clear of points. This is especially important to those who have a special license such as a CDL.

If you receive a citation and fail to address it, either by appearing in court or posting a bond, it does not magically disappear. The citation is turned over to the State of Tennessee to begin proceedings to suspend your driving privileges.


City Recorder
City Recorder Patti Amorello
Patti Amorello