The Department of Development Services ensures that current and future development meets the City's standard for health, safety, and general welfare. Our goal is to continually improve the City's quality of life by achieving a better built environment with every new development.
We encourage citizens, developers, and prospective investors to contact our office before taking action on a potential project. We will be able to guide you through the regulatory requirements and processes.
Draft Columbia Zoning Code
Draft ESS and Subdivision Regulations
- Can I add a pipe along the ditch in the front of my yard?
- Can I have a Short Term Rental (STR) in my home?
- Can I install another driveway access point at my house?
- How can I see what is being constructed or proposed developments in an area?
- Do I need a permit for a temporary ad banner in front of my business?
- Do I need a permit for a shed or accessory structure?
- Do I need a permit to install a fence?
- Do retaining walls require a building permit?
- How do I know if I need a permit?
- How do I know if my permit is still valid?
- Can I check the status of my permit?
- Where can I locate my property lines?
- Who approves building modifications if I live in a Historic District?
- Who maintains the stormwater ditches?
- Where can I obtain copies of building permits for my property?
Disclaimer: For any conflicts or discepencies between information displayed on this webpage and all subpages of the Development Services Department and the adopted Ordinances and Regulations, the adopted Ordinances and Regulations shall be governing.