Sanitation / Bulky / Brush
The Sanitation Division collects residential and commercial trash and other refuse on a scheduled basis. This service is performed for over 15,000 residences and 1,200 businesses. The sanitation department also provides recycling, bulky item, and brush collection.
Commercial Trash Collection
Commercial collection is by agreement, and the fee is based on the number of scheduled pick-ups at the business. Please call (931) 388-8650 to set up trash collection services.
Residential Trash & Recycling Collection
Residential sanitation is $14/month, and will be charged to your Columbia Power & Water bill. Household garbage is collected on a weekly basis; recycling is collected bi-weekly.
- Trash and recycling carts at the street by 5:00am on your scheduled pickup day.
- Serial numbers on carts must face the street.
- Leave 4 feet of clearance around your carts and between your carts.
- All trash must be bagged and inside the trashcan.
- Do not bag recycling.
- Any misuse of recycling cart will result in immediate and permanent confiscation.
- During holiday weeks, please leave your cans at the street until they are empty. If you are missed, please leave your cans at the street and call our office at (931) 388-8650.
Please call (931) 388-8650 to set up trash collection services. Visit Recycle Columbia for more information and to sign up!
Bulky Item Collection
- Bulky item collection day will be the same day as your trash pickup, but on a bi-weekly basis.
- Bulk items must be called in and scheduled no later than 2:00pm on the business day before your scheduled pickup day.
- Residents are allotted three free bulk pickups per year. Items must be out by 5:00am on your scheduled pickup day.
- After the allotted quota is met, there will be a $100 charge per pickup during that calendar year plus landfill tipping fees.
- Special pickups and oversized pickups are available at $100 per pickup plus landfill tipping fees.
- Visit the Route Map to determine if you follow Route A or Route B, or call Public Works and we will confirm your pickup day and route.
Public Works Will Not Collect
- Demolition debris (rocks, dirt, tree stumps, wall board or plaster, bricks, building scraps, etc.)
- Electronic items (televisions, computers, appliances, etc.)
- Refrigerant items (refrigerators, air conditioners, or anything charged with Freon or other gases)
These items may be taken to the Maury County Solid Waste Department.
The brush and tree collection program is for the removal of routine yard trimmings from residences.
- Brush cannot be mixed with other material, such as household trash, furniture, or construction material.
- Brush collection day will be the same day as your trash pickup, but on a bi-weekly basis.
- Brush or trees must be cut in lengths of 4 feet or less, and no wider than 3 feet in diameter. Tree stumps must be cut to these lengths or mulched.
- Leaves, grass clippings, and mulch must be bagged.
- Place brush at the curb by 5:00am on your scheduled pickup day.
- Please visit the Route Map to determine if you follow Route A or Route B, or call Public Works and we will confirm your pickup day and route.
- Special arrangements must be made for extra loads of brush.
- Special pickups and oversized pickups are available at $100 per pickup.
Not for the removal of trees or brush cut from:
- Commercial tree contractors or landscapers
- Lot clearances, excavation projects, or other demolition projects