Explorer Post Program
About the Explorer Program
The Columbia Police Department Explorer Post 786 provides educational training for young adults on the purposes, mission, and objectives of law enforcement. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities, and community service activities. The primary goals of the program are to help young adults choose a career path within law enforcement and to challenge them to become responsible citizens of their communities and the nation. Most people don't start learning their jobs until the day they start to work, while Explorers are starting now. By the time an Explorer is ready to begin their career, they already understand the job they are seeking.
Requirements to Be an Explorer
- Submit an application for review
- Must be 14 to 20 years old
- Have a minimum 2.0 grade point average
- Must have completed Eighth grade.
- Attend meetings/ functions regularly
- Be of good moral and ethical character
Being an Explorer
As an explorer, you will attend regular monthly meetings. During the meetings, the explorer is trained in various law enforcement related topics. After being trained on a specific topic the explorer then applies what they have been trained in a controlled training environment. Once a year the explorer post competes in a police explorer competition in South Carolina where the explorer is subjected to the various team and individual scenarios based on what they have been taught. The competition is an opportunity to have fun and apply what they have learned in a controlled environment. At the competition, the explorers can win team and individual trophies for their participation. Also as an explorer, you will be eligible to ride along with police officers and observe their daily activities.
Process of Becoming an Explorer
Fill out a CPD Explorer Application (PDF).
- Return fully completed application to the police department
- Application is reviewed by an adviser
- You are invited to observe a meeting. At the meeting you:
- Get to meet the advisers and other explorers
- Get to experience what we do
- Get information on rules/regulations/expectations
- We get to know you better
- If you are still interested after the initial meeting you are then welcome to join the post as an active member and attend regular meetings
Expectations of the Explorer
- Be a positive representative of self and department
- Attend regular meetings
- Assist at community-related functions
- Purchase a uniform/ own duty gear/ shoes
- Have fun!!!