Columbia Flag Project
The City of Columbia has established a design competition to create an official city flag! Columbia residents are invited to take part in the process beginning January 23 through March 15, 2023. Submit your best, original design.
All entries will be judged based on the guiding design principles shared below and narrowed down to three final designs. Then the public will have a chance to vote in April on the final three selections chosen by the Columbia Arts Council. The winning design will reflect Columbia's pride, rich history & promising future, and embody what makes Columbia special and unique, using meaningful symbolism with minimal color and design features.
What's the best way to get started with my design?
Check out the design tips below! And visit the website Flags of the World for inspiration.
Flag Design Guiding Principles
From the book "Good Flag," "Bad Flag" compiled by Ted Kaye, North American Vexillological Association
Example of an Ideal Flag Design
The flag of New Mexico is an example of a design utilizing ideal colors, shapes, & symbols. The red and yellow represent Spain's royal heritage while the symbol in the center represents the sun as depicted by the Zia Indians.
Design Competition Rules
- The Columbia Flag Design competition begins January 23, 2023 and runs through March 15, 2023.
- The Columbia Arts Council will evaluate all submissions and select the top three designs. The public will be invited to vote on the top three designs April 1-15, 2023.
- The Columbia Arts Council along with the Columbia City Council will evaluate the designs, social media public votes/comments to choose the final winning design to be announced April 20, 2023.
- By submitting your original design, you are voluntarily donating your design to the City of Columbia for consideration.
- No compensation is given for any designs submitted.
- The winning design becomes the property of the City of Columbia and may be modified, reproduced and published at the City's discretion.
- Submit your name, address, email & phone along with your design & the description of your design by clicking the online entry link below.
- The competition is open to Columbia and Maury County, Tennessee residents.
- All ages and levels of artistic talents are encouraged to submit a flag design.
- Designs should reflect Columbia's pride, rich history, attractive geographical features, & promising future, and embody what makes Columbia special and unique by using meaningful symbolism with minimal color and design elements.
- Entries must be designed in a rectangle shape.
- Design must be high quality (file size cannot exceed 8Mb).
- Only one submission per Columbia resident is allowed.
- Flag design must be accompanied by a narrative (500 words or less) describing the symbolism and inspiration of the design elements.
- Only designs submitted by 5:00PM on March 15, 2023 will be accepted.
- For more information on best practices for flag design, visit https://nava.org
How Do I Enter?
To submit your original flag design, click the link below and include your contact information, design file, and a description of the inspiration for your design.