Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
The City of Columbia, Tennessee, in partnership with Columbia Power & Water Systems (CPWS) & streetlighting development firm PATH Company, is working toward completion of a first-class LED streetlight conversion project for Columbia.
The primary goals of the project are to increase the quality of streetlighting within the city while at the same time realizing significant annual energy and operational savings to the city’s bottom line. By the time the installation of the new streetlights is complete, the City of Columbia will realize an annual gross savings of almost $436,000 on its streetlight bill.
“Working with PATH Company on this LED streetlight conversion project highlights two very important initiatives and strategic goals for the city,” stated Columbia Mayor Chaz Molder. “We are focused on being good financial stewards (given the savings) and we are always thinking about how we can continue to make our city a better place to live, work, and play as we look to the future of Columbia.”
City of Columbia City Council approved a $4 million contract for the LED conversion. The Mayor, City Manager, Assistant City Manager, the city’s engineering team, and City Council worked in tandem with CPWS to determine a program structure that would maximize the benefits of this project.
City Manager Tony Massey stated, “We are excited the LED streetlight conversion has begun. This project will provide better streetlighting for our citizens. It saves significant tax dollars as well.” Massey also commented, “The LED streetlight conversion should be completed by the end of summer, if not before.”
Project Highlights –
• 6,189 streetlights within the city limits will be converted to LED.
• PATH utilized illuminating engineering practices and IDA principals when designing the new streetlight system. These efforts were taken to ensure the new streetlight system distributes the appropriate amount of light at the street level while limiting the amount of light directed towards the sky.
• Installation crews are set to begin Monday, March 1, 2021.
• Timeline for installation completion is 12-14 weeks.
• Installation crews will be dressed in high-visibility clothing and vehicles will be marked appropriately.
• Citizens are encouraged to continue to use the following contact information to report street outages:
o Columbia Streetlight Reports: 931-548-6545 or ColumbiaTN@PathCompany.com
• Citizens with questions or concerns can contact PATH directly:
o William Franklin, VP of Finance & Development: 901-921-6516 or William@PathCompany.com
• Project progress can be tracked in real time via this weblink: https://columbia-tn-2118-20.lightedison.com/project-map